The largest firm dedicated to family law in Colorado Springs.

Call for a free consultation: (719) 577-9292



JUser: :_load: Unable to load user with ID: 280

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; plgK2K2canonical has a deprecated constructor in /home/marrison/public_html/plugins/k2/k2canonical/k2canonical.php on line 17

Parent/Child Law

blog-logoIf you are a custodial parent and considering moving to a neighborhood that is a significant distance from the other parent, then you should ask a Colorado Springs child custody lawyer for clarification on Colorado’s procedure for Custody Relocation cases. 

Some divorced parents often assume that they can be prevented from moving if the other parent objects.  Relocation disputes are often decided by family court using standard custody statutes and Colorado case law. 

Read 3976 times

blog-logoFor custodial parents who are owed a balance on court-ordered child support, a lump sum payment may already be “in the mail.”  If you are dealing with child custody support payment issues in Colorado Springs, then you should find out more about the Tax Refund Offset Program (TROP).   Keep reading for the basics.


Read 3623 times

blog-logoIn the state of Colorado, child support orders are taken very seriously and a substantial amount of time and effort is involved in calculating the right amount of support for minor children.   Just ask any Colorado Springs child support lawyer; failure to make timely child support payments can result in incarceration for the non-paying parent. While the state has gone to great lengths to ensure support orders are enforced, many parents don’t know how the enforcement system works.

Contempt of Court for Child Support

If you are dealing with an ex-spouse who is trying to avoid paying child support, you are not alone.  Thankfully there are ways you can use the Colorado court system to your advantage to enforce court-ordered child support.  The most common way to enforce a child support order in Colorado is by filing a petition for Contempt of Court

The Contempt of Court petition is designed to get a non-paying parent to start paying according to the order.  In many cases, this may involve them making a lump-sum payment against their child support arrears in order to avoid incarceration.  Failure to show up at a Contempt of Court hearing will also result in a warrant for their arrest.

Read 8498 times

blog-logoAs a Colorado Springs child custody lawyer, I am often asked about parental child abduction and what can be done about it.  There is no question that divorce brings out the worst in people, but sometimes things get out of control.  One example of this is child abduction by parents.  Sadly, many Colorado children are abducted every year, and according to the US Department of Justice, 350,000 children are abducted by parents who are involved in a divorce or separation.  This problem is even more serious when a parent moves the child out of the country.  

Read 4202 times

blog-logoIn today’s tough job market, it’s no surprise that more and more single parents are finding it difficult to collect child support payments.  When either parent loses a job, it puts the whole family at risk, but when a non-custodial, support-obligated parent loses his or her job, if often causes them to seek a temporary reduction in payments.  This would be fine if it was truly temporary, or if it were a reasonable request.  However, as a Colorado Springs Child Support Attorney I see a lot of parents who have no problem staying out of the job market or taking a low-paying job for much longer than necessary – even when it means their children will need to live on less.

Read 3220 times
Page 9 of 13

MPatMarrisonFor over a quarter century, we have helped people during what is often the darkest time in their lives. Divorce is not easy even under the best of circumstances. For most people, family is central. Having something go wrong in the family can have a ripple effect that extends beyond the home and into other areas.

All articles

Military Discounts

Speak with an Attorney

Call us at (719) 577-9292 or complete this form to request a complimentary consultation with a Family Law attorney.

Invalid Input

Invalid Input - enter phone number using the following format xxx-xxx-xxxx

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Connect With Us