Getting a Restraining Order in Colorado - Marrison Family Law

The largest firm dedicated to family law in Colorado Springs.

Call for a Legal Consultation: (719) 577-9292

Getting a Restraining Order in Colorado

Tuesday, 27 October 2009

If you are a victim of domestic violence in Colorado, there is hope.  The court system in Colorado will issue a restraining order to a person who is afraid of being harmed, feels threatened, or is abused by a partner or spouse. 

The main purpose of a restraining order is to cause the offending party to “cease and desist” all contact, thereby eradicating abusive or threatening situations.  While nothing outside of incarceration will offer unlimited or total protection to a victim, a restraining or protective order is an important first step to ending the cycle of abuse and keeping the perpetrator accountable to the law for his actions. 

Work with a reputable Colorado family attorney

A Colorado Springs family lawyer can help you determine which type of protective order best suits your situation, a criminal or civil order.  In the case of divorced or separated couples, a civil restraining order is most common.  It can also be suitable when the accused abuser has never been charged with a crime.

Gather any evidence

Filing a restraining order can be done in person at the county or district courthouse.  These short-term orders can serve as a valuable protection to you and your family members, but you must explain the reasons you are seeking one, and cite specific examples of violence and/or abuse, as well as why you are in fear for your safety.  If approved, the order will be formally served to the defendant, and a court date will be set within fourteen days. 

The accused abuser must attend the court proceeding, where the judge will determining if the restraining order is valid, and whether it should become permanent.  It is here where a Colorado Springs family lawyer can help you the most, because the court will hear evidence from both sides.  However, should the restrained person fail to appear in court, it is possible he will be served with a permanent protective order.

Prepare to enforce it

Once you receive a restraining order, make several copies of it – one for your office, one for home, and keep a copy of it with you at all times.  In the event that your partner or spouse violates the order and comes into contact with you in any way, contact the police immediately and let them know you have a protective order that has been violated.  Only then can an officer place the restrained party under arrest.


Read 11444 times

MPatMarrisonFor over a quarter century, we have helped people during what is often the darkest time in their lives. Divorce is not easy even under the best of circumstances. For most people, family is central. Having something go wrong in the family can have a ripple effect that extends beyond the home and into other areas.

All articles

Military Discounts

Request a Consultation

Call us at (719) 577-9292 or complete this form to request a consultation.

Invalid Input

Invalid Input - enter phone number using the following format xxx-xxx-xxxx

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid recaptcha input

Connect With Us