Print this page

Colorado Springs Custody Lawyer: How to Enforce Your Custody Order

Wednesday, 10 March 2010

Even after a divorce is final, it is rare for couples to avoid emotionally-charged disputes.  Usually, one or both spouses’ feels cheated out of the life they dreamed of, and they are acutely in tune with how the divorce impacts their children.  Unfortunately, in situations like this, the children are sometimes used as leverage against the other parent.  When one spouse is acting out against the other by withholding visitation or violating the terms of a custody order, a Colorado Springs custody lawyer can help enforce your custody order in court.   


Whether you still harbor resentment about your spouse’s behavior during the marriage, or you are suffering from undue financial stress, it is not uncommon for one spouse to blame the other and bring up past hurts for years after the divorce.  If two parents cannot resolve their differences, ignoring the terms of a custody order is one way they can act out against each other.  But be aware; there are some established remedies to enforce compliance.

The best way to enforce a child custody order is to return to the court where it was issued and ask the court to cite the person in violation with contempt of court.  In cases where the offending parent has taken the child unlawfully out of their home, the district attorney’s office can issue a warrant for their arrest and order the immediate return of the child.  This is true even if that parent has taken the child to another state.  The Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act requires states to enforce custody orders that were initiated in other states.

If you find that you need to take these steps to enforce your Colorado custody order, enlist the help of a Colorado Springs Custody lawyer.  An experienced custody lawyer can not only see to it that your order is enforced, they can also help you change the order moving forward, especially if the opposing parent has a history of such violations.  Most of the time, the court will modify the order to ensure that the best interests of the child are met.


Read 3642 times