Do you expect your custody battle to get ugly? If so, then the top divorce attorneys in Colorado will advise you to take the following steps:
- Be the first to take action. Whoever is the first to take the other parent to court is showing the court their willingness to take action on behalf of their child.
- Pay child support. This should be done even if a court order has not yet been filed. Be sure to make all payments by check or money order, not in cash, and make them regularly.
- Don’t be afraid to call the police if your ex-spouse becomes excessively angry or violent. Making these assertions in a custody hearing will carry more weight if there is a police report to back it up.
- Keep track of the time you spend with your children, and the things you do to care for their everyday needs, including doctor’s visits, play dates, and shopping for clothing.
- And most importantly, never miss a scheduled visit with your child. If the other parent makes the child unavailable for a scheduled visit, be sure to record this as well.
Follow these tips from the top divorce attorneys and you will greatly improve your chances of a successful outcome in a custody battle. However, for the best chance of winning, hiring one of the top divorce lawyers to represent you will be a decision you will never regret.