Do you need an extension on child support? Ask a Colorado Springs Family Lawyer - Marrison Family Law

The largest firm dedicated to family law in Colorado Springs.

Call for a Legal Consultation: (719) 577-9292

Do you need an extension on child support? Ask a Colorado Springs Family Lawyer

Monday, 17 May 2010

blog-logoEmancipation laws differ from one state to another, so it is important to be aware of when child support will end and which special circumstances apply.  If you feel as if your case requires an extension of normal child support payments, then a Colorado Springs family lawyer may be able to help.

According to state law, Colorado child support will automatically end when the youngest child reaches the age of 19.  No formal notification will be provided to either parent, as this is the “age of emancipation” in Colorado.  That said, there are some conditions that may allow for continued child support beyond 19.

The five conditions are as follows:


  • Disability: Under some circumstances, when a child is either mentally or physically disabled, a Colorado Springs judge may authorize child support to continue beyond the age of nineteen.  However, the duration of such support is left up to the judge’s discretion.
  • Written Agreement:  Many Pikes Peak area parents have included a period of time beyond emancipation that the support may continue. An agreement like this must be made in writing, but it can be for any set of reasons the parents deem necessary.
  • High School Student:  Unlike some other states, Colorado child support can continue beyond the age of 19 if the child is still enrolled in high school but it must come to an end by age 21. 
  • Marriage:  A child is presumed to have reached the age of emancipation if he or she gets married, but child support can be reinstated if for some reason the marriage ends. 
  • Military Service:  If a child enters the military, child support is no longer necessary and will end at that time.

Hiring a Colorado Springs family lawyer will help you negotiate the best settlement for continued child support payments with your spouse.  Agreements can be set forth which include special circumstances, or for the continuous payment of child support until the child graduates from college. 

Read 4159 times

MPatMarrisonFor over a quarter century, we have helped people during what is often the darkest time in their lives. Divorce is not easy even under the best of circumstances. For most people, family is central. Having something go wrong in the family can have a ripple effect that extends beyond the home and into other areas.

All articles

Military Discounts

Request a Consultation

Call us at (719) 577-9292 or complete this form to request a consultation.

Invalid Input

Invalid Input - enter phone number using the following format xxx-xxx-xxxx

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid recaptcha input

Connect With Us