How to Collect Colorado Non-Resident Child Support - Marrison Family Law

The largest firm dedicated to family law in Colorado Springs.

Call for a Legal Consultation: (719) 577-9292

How to Collect Colorado Non-Resident Child Support

Thursday, 28 July 2011

blog-logoIf you are collecting child support in Colorado, you know how complicated it can be, especially if the non-custodial parent doesn’t want to pay. But even if the payments are regular, collecting Colorado non-resident child support raises questions for many single parents.  In the past, you may have heard horror stories from a friend, whose ex-spouse moved to another state as a way to avoid paying child support.  But thanks to some changes in interstate child support laws, other states now have the proper authority to act on-non-resident child support orders. 

Collecting child support from a cooperative parent in another state is one thing, but trying to enforce an order or modify it is something else entirely.  While it is still covered under interstate child support laws, it may require the help of a lawyer to figure it out.  In order to fully understand the way Colorado non-resident child support is collected, it helps to learn more about something called “jurisdiction”.  Before interstate child support enforcement can take place or any modification litigation be initiated, the moving party must first give notice to all parties concerned and must qualify under a state law that governs the court’s authority, or jurisdiction.  This can become quite complex when the parties or the children live in separate states.

Colorado non-resident child support is governed by the UIFSA, which stands for the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act.  Adopted in 1995, this law basically prevents a non-paying parent from avoiding his or her obligation by moving out of the state of original jurisdiction.  Through this statute, the custodial parent is provided with a number of remedies to aid in the collection of child support from a non-resident parent.

Collecting child support from a parent who has recently moved to Colorado, when the case was initiated in another state is another issue entirely, and may need to be handled by the state where the children and custodial parent currently reside.  Unless you are working with an experienced Colorado Springs family lawyer, figuring this out on your own can be quite inimidating. Your lawyer can explain the ins and outs of Colorado non-resident child support and how the UIFSA can work to your benefit in collecting interstate child support.  Ask your attorney how these laws impact your case and how they can help you collect Colorado non-resident child support. 

Read 5342 times

MPatMarrisonFor over a quarter century, we have helped people during what is often the darkest time in their lives. Divorce is not easy even under the best of circumstances. For most people, family is central. Having something go wrong in the family can have a ripple effect that extends beyond the home and into other areas.

All articles

Military Discounts

Request a Consultation

Call us at (719) 577-9292 or complete this form to request a consultation.

Invalid Input

Invalid Input - enter phone number using the following format xxx-xxx-xxxx

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid recaptcha input

Connect With Us