Print this page

Is Your Ex Not Paying Child Support? It May Be Time to Take Decisive Action

Saturday, 16 October 2010

blog-logoFor parents who are dealing with a non-custodial parent who is not paying child support, it is important to know what resources you have at your disposal, and how to use them.  Single parents have enough to worry about with the challenges of daily living, and the whole child support system in Colorado can seem complicated and challenging. 

Working with a Colorado Springs family law attorney is the best way to ensure that your child support order is up to date and enforced.   By law, you are entitled to a review of your current circumstances every three years. This may or may not involve a personal meeting with a Child Support Master, where both parents disclose their current income and expenses.  At this hearing, you can request more support to cover medical expenses, child care, insurance and some extracurricular activities.  Even if your income and expenses have not changed, chances are the amount of support will be adjusted for the cost of living.

If your ex is not paying child support at all, then a Colorado Springs family law attorney will be able to file a Complaint for Contempt of Court.  This may not be necessary if the nonpayment of child support is only temporary.  Other enforcement actions may include wage and asset garnishment, lump sum payments and court-monitored child support payments.  If the account falls into arrears, it should trigger the enforcement agency in your area to take action, but this may take awhile.  Meanwhile, the non-paying parent may not be able to get a passport, and they may suffer from negative information on their credit report.

There are many things you can do about a parent who is not paying child support, but the most efficient way to handle it is by working with a Colorado Springs family law attorney. 

Read 4349 times